SPEEDOMETER

1991 Toyota Corolla

1991 Toyota Corolla 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 111875 miles

Jambo to you all,

Hope all well on your end.

I have the above stated car, and I " feel" that the speedometer reading is incorrect, as before when I use to drive on high speeds, you would never feel the car clocking 120 kmp/h, until you exceed 120 kmp/h then you feel the car moving fast, now this feels when clocking only 100 kmp/h, and when you bring it to 120 kmp/h on the clock, the car moves extremely fast, feeling of clocking 160 or 170 kmp/h. I've been with this car for the past 6 years and have travelled with it long distances 14 times, and also have clocked to 180 kmp/h and know how it feels. Kindly assist.
Shermohamed

Most likely the lower speedometer cable needs to be changed.

They are available from Toyota for $70.

Mmprince4000
I understand in this model, they do not use cables, they use sensors. I have seen the sensor under the hood. Can it be the sensor or the clock that is gradually dying?

Shermohamed
U.S. Made Corolla's use cables up to 92, but if a sender is bad replace it, and clean connections.

Mmprince4000
Okay, i'll try and check the contacts and clean them if dirty. However, I wanted to test if what i'm feeling is correct or not, what about measuring my vehicle speed with a mobile phone that has a GPS feature, can that work? Would it give me an accurate reading of the vehicle speed?

Shermohamed
If you could get an accurate distance and time, yes it would work.

Mmprince4000
Right Sir,

Let me try and find a GPS device, and once done, will give you the updates. Yesterday, tried to clean some contacts, I actually followed a cable that enters on the right side of the dash, as mine is a right hand drive, I do not know the functions of that cable, but just cleaned it, and feels like it worked, am not really sure. I tried searching for an electric and sensors diagram for a 1991 ae100 through google, but could not see the link of that cable. I actually want to test it before I make any decisions on replacing any parts for the speedometer, cause here in Tanzania, mechanics are not really reliable, I checked with my mechanic, and he's never come up with such a problem, hence am a little reluctant to give him this job, therefore I wanna make sure myself first before going through any repairs. (My car is my first wife : -)

Shermohamed
Cable eqippped cars have a lower an upper cable that goes into firewall and the IP.

Mmprince4000