'92 - SHAKY SUSPENSION/DRIVETRAIN

1992 Toyota Celica

I own a 1992 Toyota Celica with approx. 120k miles and a 4-cyl inline-4 frontwheel drive engine (manual transmission).

I've owned the vehicle for about a year and have always had moderate to severe shakes at higher speeds (over approx. 65 mph).

About 3 months ago I had to come to a very quick stop going about 60 mph due to a vehicle jumping out on the road in front of me; I slid briefly and accidentally stalled the engine, then continued on my way. From that point forward, I've had a wierd " thumping" sound in the suspension/drivetrain. It sounds very similar to a flat tire and is more noticable at slower speeds. The noise is present any time the vehicle is moving, even in neutral with the clutch disengaged and the engine shut off.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be? I'm hoping it's as simple as a flat spot on the tire(s), but I can't really tell visually.

The struts feel good and the breaks look OK visually. It makes a mild creaking sound (sounds like the calipers) when breaking heavily. Doubt that's related, though.

Any help with the (tire) noise would be much appreciated.

(Edit: In case it helps to narrow down the problem. The faster I go, the faster the rate of " thumping.&Quot; Also the faster I go, the less intense the " thumping" until I hit the high-speed shake.)
Fusionfire89