A/C - HEATING PROBLEMS

2000 Toyota Celica

Air Conditioning problem
2000 Toyota Celica 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 122000 miles

I had a new engine put in at a Toyota dealer last year. My wife mentioned that the A/C wasn't cooling right but never said any more. I now drive the car and the temperature is sporattic. It blows cool but not cold. It gets warmer if the car is sitting still. Both fans work correctly. The oddity is that during cool weather, it will blow warm for a while then just blow cold (with no changes made and A/C off.). It will then blow warm again, etc. The clutch is engaging and the engine temp is always normal. Is there something that controls the systems output temp that is gone bad. Was it something from the engine swap left unplugged. It's been too long to take it back to the dealer now. Thanks.
Bwket

You say the A/C clutch is engaging but is it cycling or staying engaged? If it is engaging and disengaging alot (cycling) the it may just be low on freon.

Racefan966
It engages for a good while. I've had the freon checked and it's ok. I just don't understand how, during cool weather, it blows from hot to cold as it wishes. I didn't think the compressor was even in the picture then.

Bwket
Have you checked the blend door or blend door motor? When they go bad your heater or A/C won't heat or cool right.

Racefan966
I haven't and don't know what it is. Where is it and what's required to check it? Good chance that may be the problem.

Bwket
It is probably on the passanger side of the car near the blower motor. Just behind the glove box kind off. Here is what he comon blend door looks like

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/249564_379286_2.jpg

Now if there is a pen or object in the heater system and stops the blend door it will stop it from moving so it could be just that simple

Racefan966