TRUNK & CONVERTIBLE TOP

1995 Toyota Celica

Computer problem
1995 Toyota Celica 4 cyl Four Wheel Drive Manual 170K miles

The trunk on my Celica will not open. The release latch inside the car does not feel loose or broken.
The release for the gas tank door works fine. The car
was purchased from a private party (someone I thought I could trust), who has now disappeared. I was given one key, which unlocks the doors and starts the car but does not open the trunk. A mech-anic told me to get a locksmith. Also, the convertible top will not go down all the way. It has 2 latches in the front, then a button on the console that electrically opens the top. Only it stops at the last 16 to 18 inches. It seems to be caught on something. The top is brand new, and installed by a friend of the person I bought it from. I cannot believe how stupid & naive I am. Any suggestions? Other than finding the seller & strapping him to the non-working top?
Lisssimmo