VALVE DAMAGE?

Toyota Camry

Well, my 94 Camry ( 4 cyl. 2.2) had an oil leak, which I assumed was caused by a faulty camshaft oil seal, because the guy who sold me the car said that he had repaired that seal with some sort of adhesive (i have no idea why he didn't just buy a new one). Anyway, replacing the seal meant removing the camshaft sprocket and the timing belt, as well as the motor mounts. Once the seal was replaced, I aligned the camshaft and crankshaft according to the markings specified on the sprockets and engine block/timing belt cover. After reassembling the car, I started the vehicle and it fired up fine, and idled smoothly. Then I revved the engine and heard a rapid " thunking" sound. To me it sounded like the timing belt had slid off the sprockets or the idler pulley had failed, and released the belts tension. I did not have time to get back into it, so the next day I had it taken to the mechanics. After an hour in the shop the mechanic called me and said that the timing belt was still on and that he had done a compression test and believed that I had bent valves, and possible piston damage. I was under the impression that the design of my camry's engine was the " non-interference" type, so that timing belt problems wouldn't harm the engine. Is the mechanic just trying to rip me off, of is it possible that I could have damaged the valves by misaligning the cam and crank shafts?
JWSoper

Wow.I guess there aren't very many people on this forum, huh?

JWSoper
G'day jw next time you replace a valve train belt be sure to rotate the motor fully at least three revolutions by hand. If nothing jams or clunks you can then try to start it with the starter motor. I'm sure you knew this but just forgot. Remember next time. Things go wrong to teach us stuff so learn from this one. Good luck with your car : D

Francis 180
Well, I had the mechanics bring my car back, cuz they could'nt get it started. I had the belt back on and and car running in 45 minutes. Actually, I believe its two rotations of the crankshaft, atleast thats what I did. But I still have an oil leak because the previous owner of the car had knicked the camshaft bore pretty badly and tried to repair it with some sort of epoxy adhesive. I tried to substitiute it with high-temp RTV silicone, but its too cold in october for the silicone to cure properly. So, iron ically, I am replacing the cylinder head anyway, although i'll be doing the work, and not a " mechanic". So there's another weekend spent in the garage. Yee ha.

JWSoper