SLUDGE

Toyota Camry

I have a 2003 camry solara SLE v6 with 62000 miles. Im told I have a sludge problem. The dealership is telling me this will cost $3000 to fix! What are my options?
Sludge

What Kind of Sludge?
Oil Sludge?
Metal sludge?
It its running fine?
Its the " check Engine" light on?
What are the symptoms?

Fisherman
What Kind of Sludge?
Oil Sludge?
Metal sludge?
It its running fine?
Its the " check Engine" light on?
What are the symptoms?[/Quote: d66835f545]

OH! Sorry. Its oil sludge, it runs great and the check engine light is not on nor has ever came on. Went for an oil change and this was discovered. The only symptom I've noticed is a puff of white smoke when first started in the morning. They had me come look and there is definitley oil sludge in there.

Sludge
What Kind of Sludge?
Oil Sludge?
Metal sludge?
It its running fine?
Its the " check Engine" light on?
What are the symptoms?[/Quote: cf58d16812]

Thanks[/quote: cf58d16812]

Well the oil sludge its caused for an engine malfunction, poor maintenance, to much " stress" (freeway stop and go) contaminants on your engine.
A good flush and change to a synthetic oil could help to minimize the sludge without doing something major to the engine.

But 2003?
Its fairly new!
Did your warranty expire?
Did you have a good maintenance record?
If so talk to an a customer service rep at toyota. There should be something they can do to fix your problem. 3000 thats way to much money!

Good luck!

Fisherman
What Kind of Sludge?
Oil Sludge?
Metal sludge?
It its running fine?
Its the " check Engine" light on?
What are the symptoms?[/Quote: 7e3a1964eb]

Thanks[/quote: 7e3a1964eb]

But 2003?
Its fairly new!
Did your warranty expire?
Did you have a good maintenance record?

Good luck![/Quote: 7e3a1964eb]

Yes 2003 and still looks new. Yes warranty is expired. No didnt keep records, Wife just took it wherever when oil needed changed. Toyota service manager is telling me I have 2 options A) replace engine at $7500 or B) do a " spa" ? Where they bascically take engine apart run it through a " vatt" ? And replace valve stem covers for the low, low price of $3000. Would I be better off taking it somewhere else? I dont have that kind of money! Thanks for what you have given me for far.

Sludge
Dealers... dealers... its pretty common for them to talk Thousands like we do on hundreds....

Do an Engine "flush" With a good quality product
and then change the oil with a full synthetic...

and replace the oil more often...
after a couple of changes check if the oil still coming out with sludge....

Check this out: http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2007/01/toyota_sludge_settlement.html

Good Luck!

Fisherman
Thanks so much for the advise Fisherman! If this works you saved me a butt load and I will be back to donate some of it. Thanks for the article I have found out it supposedly covered v6 solara's until Aug 2002. Mine was built in october! So I dont know what my options would be. 2 last questions, first can you reccomend a good engine flush? I am also told magic mystery oil works well but not sure its a flush. And second you mentioned after a couple of oil changes check to see if sludge was still there. What if it is? Start the process over and do it again? Again THANK YOU!

Sludge
Thanks so much for the advise Fisherman! If this works you saved me a butt load and I will be back to donate some of it. Thanks for the article I have found out it supposedly covered v6 solara's until Aug 2002. Mine was built in october! So I dont know what my options would be. 2 last questions, first can you reccomend a good engine flush? I am also told magic mystery oil works well but not sure its a flush. And second you mentioned after a couple of oil changes check to see if sludge was still there. What if it is? Start the process over and do it again? Again THANK YOU![/Quote: 4c7d067356]

also doing a flush might clogg up the oil screen, in turn motor will lock up, but its still worth a try, putting a quart of trans fluid in it let it run a little(1/2 hr) do not drive it, change oil, do this a few times, sorry to say the dealer sees this more often than aftermarket places, and parts may cost a little more but get longer life outa them

Buzzsaw
The 1st indication of a clogged up screen is engine Tap and Knock-you don't have this. Because if its clogged you won't have the correct oil pressure and oil will not get all the way up there then its start making wierd noises. The gamble you have to take -is do an engine flush and take your course from there.

My way of clearing sludge is I stick my homemade tube down the dipstick tube and suck it all out-then do the engine flush with diesel or kerosene. Half of the time tranny fluid don't work-I recommend the new high tech. Stuff from NAPA. Ask and pay for it.

And then don't forget to change it every 2500miles both the oil/filter.

3K is too muchy! Give me some lol.

[quote=" Buzzsaw sorry to say the dealer sees this more often than aftermarket places, and parts may cost a little more but get longer life outa them[/quote]

Dealer sees more. Duhh. Longer life? &Quot; may" get longer life. MAy not not get straight answers either.

Thanks so much for the advise Fisherman! If this works you saved me a butt load and I will be back to donate some of it. Thanks for the article I have found out it supposedly covered v6 solara's until Aug 2002. Mine was built in october! So I dont know what my options would be. 2 last questions, first can you reccomend a good engine flush? I am also told magic mystery oil works well but not sure its a flush. And second you mentioned after a couple of oil changes check to see if sludge was still there. What if it is? Start the process over and do it again? Again THANK YOU![/Quote: 08ba7a1388]

also doing a flush might clogg up the oil screen, in turn motor will lock up, but its still worth a try, putting a quart of trans fluid in it let it run a little(1/2 hr) do not drive it, change oil, do this a few times, sorry to say the dealer sees this more often than aftermarket places, and parts may cost a little more but get longer life outa them[/quote: 08ba7a1388]

NEW TWIST. If you read this entire thread something doesnt feel right. When I told them I could'nt afford what they were offering. They said I was an honest customer & they wanted to help me. NOW dealer is willing to replace with NEW engine (Everything under the hood except for heads, so I'm told) PLUS turn rotors and all new brake pads for $3000. My question is this. WHY?

Sludge