CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR

Toyota Camry

1996 Toyota Camry LE 2.2L 203,000 miles

Help! I'm in a situation that nobody seems to know an answer to. My wife has a 1996 Camry with a check engine light on. The light signifies that the camshaft position sensor is faulty. However, after several inspections by different mechanics and even a local community college auto technician program, we've been told that the current engine in our Camry does NOT have a camshaft position sensor and there is no solution to the problem. Evidently, engines were swapped out by a previous owner of the vehicle. Our Camry's computer is searching for the camshaft position sensor, but there is no sensor to be accounted for. What kind of solutions are there to this problem? Were the previous mechanics right about there being no solution to the problem? Is it possible to install that sensor. Or can the problem be bypassed within the car's computer? Thanks!
Jazzytrumpeter

First find out what kind of engine is in the vehicle. Then go to a salvage yard and buy the computer for that specific engine. The light should go out IF the wiring hsen't been changed.

I am surprised the engine is running because the camshaft sensor provides the signal for ignition and fuel injection.

Perhaps the previous owner rewired the harness to make it run. Without any more info a light-ectomy or a piece of black tape might be your only choice as it doesn't affect the way the car run or does it.

Good luck

Losone
1996 Camry LE 2.2L 203,000

I've identified the engine as a 5A-FE engine. Originally, according to the VIN and after cross-referencing with Toyota's website, there was a 3MZ-FE engine in the car. Where can I go to find out the OEM part number for the specific computer that corresponds with a 5A-FE engine? Are there several different kinds of computers that could go with that specific engine? Thanks!

Jazzytrumpeter
The 5A-FE is an import engine that was sold out or Japan or China as a bolt in replecement for the 3 series engine. It is a high performance engine that does not uses a cam sensor but uses the distributer as a reference.

There is no way that I know of to replace the computer becauuse the connectors won't work. There was a modification that came with the engine wiring that allowed the engine to run.

I will do some more research to see if there is a way to fool the computer with the distributer signal.

Sadly, I think you are stuck with a check engine light on. If the car starts runing badly at a later date you can verify others codes that are set.

Actually the 5 engine runs quite lean and should get better fuel economy in these trying gas days.

I'll let you know if I can come up with a solution.

Good Luck

Losone
Cam sensor is located in the distributor according to alldatadiy.com

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/78273_cam_position_sensor_for_1996_toyota_camry_1.gif

Randyjr1193