'93 FUEL LEAK

1993 Toyota Camry

Hi,
I have a 1993 Toyota Camry with 117,000 miles that has been leaking gas, so I took it in to the shop since I don't think it is safe to drive with a fuel leak. The mechanic (who I have never used before, as I am only living here - on an island I should add - for the summer) said that 3 fuel lines needed to be replaced, which apparently is quite a job, and he quoted what seemed to me a rediculously high estimate ($1950 on the highest end or $1000 to $1200 on the lowest end). I talked to my mechanic from home, and he said he would cut the metal fuel lines and replace them with high-pressure fuel hose, which would be way less expensive than actually replacing the whole lines (which I gather would involve taking off the tank among other things). I mentioned the fuel hose method to the mechanic here, but he was unwilling to do something like that because he said if they fixed it that way then the fuel line might break in another spot and they would be liable if something went wrong.

Any thoughts on whether other mechanics would be willing to go with less expensive fuel hose method? Do I have any other options here other than to possibly spend nearly 2 grand (which is a ton of money for me)?

Thanks you,
Robin
FunkyGuitarist