85 WON'T START

1985 Toyota Camry

I have a 1985 Camry LE 186,000 miles. It died suddenly on the freeway (60+mph). Then afterwards would not start. It will turn over but the engine will not fire. I tested it for spark and there was none. I was told to replace the Ignition Coil, and did so only to no avail. It still does the same thing. NO SPARK. Any suggestions? Please Help.
Satyrnrain

Your car has a distrubtor type ignition and uses a pick up coil to time the firing of the coil. If the ignition wires and coil wire are good and you still don't have spark I would suspect a problem with the primary circuit, most likely the pick up coil is bad. You can test this coils resistance with a ohm meter but you will need the specs on it which I don't have. However if you get no reading or a zero reading it means the coil is open and needs to be replace.
Hope this helps backyardmechanic : )

Backyardmechanic