START BUT WON'T STAY RUNNING

2001 Toyota Camry

Hi
I have a toyota camry 2001, V6. Recently, I have some problem with starting. THe car will start, but immediately dies if I didn't put my foot on the gas pedal. If I put my foot in the gas pedal for about 2 or 3 mins, then the car will stay running, and won't have any problems after that. This happend after if the car has not been used for several hours. So for example, in the morning while going to work around 8 am, it has some problem starting, then when going home around 6 pm, sometimes I have the starting problem, sometime don't. Is it the battery, or the starter for idle is too low? This problem happend more often if I use the AC. I went to a car mechanics, and he told me it might be the fuel pump. But he hasn't run any diagnostic. He just guess that it might be the fuel pump and can cost around $600 to repair. I don't want to get ripped off and I want to know what all possible cause for this.
thanks much for any insight.
Ssia_us

First of all, try increasing the idle speed and see if that fixes the problem. Dont know how to? Go to autozone. Com and look at their online repair guides.

Glenerik