TRANSMISSION AND DIFFERENTIAL PROBLEM

1999 Toyota Camry

1999 Toyota Camry 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 116000 miles

The transmission on my 99 camry was flushed and filled the other day. One hour after it was serviced, I was driving down the road and it felt like the transmission went out, the gears were grinding and I had no throttle response. I took it to the shop where it had been serviced, and they tell me today that it is not the transmission, but the differential that went out. He said the transmission and differential are not related at all, but the transmission would have to be rebuilt also. Seems skeptical, especially since they had just worked on it and it went out right after that. What I need to know is could this be a problem with the transmission and the guy is full of crap? Because when it went out if sure felt like the transmission going out. I am not sure what the differential does, but he said it is not related to the transmission at all. Said it would cost $3200 to fix.
Mattbrown

Hi. Well the only relation to the transmission and differential. Is that they are the same part. The differential is actually a ring gear and side gears these are the parts that actually turn your axles.

Although there is no way of proveing that they did anything wrong. But the prob is what it is. So the best you can do is find a better deal. Here is what I would do get online or on the phone. Find a good used transmission most will only have a 30 day warranty.

After you find the best price 650-850 find a local garage that can be trusted. Tell them you want them to replace the trans with a used one which you will have sent over to them.

You will get off a lot cheaper then 3200 a reputable garage will replace it for 500-700.

You can negotiate with the trans seller and the garage installing. Good luck billymac

Billymac