POSSIBLE TIMING BELT PROBLEM?

1999 Toyota Camry

1999 Toyota Camry 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 87000 miles

Hello. I tried to start up my 1999 Camry tonight and she wouldn't crank. Symptoms are as follows:

- I put the ignition switch to the " On" position and I heard random clicking and buzzing. The dashboard lights dimmed, brightened, then dimmed again.
- I pulled the key out and the hazard blinkers turned on -- though at a low brightness level.
- I get absolutely no mechanical function - the break pedal is stiff and it seems as though power to it has been cut off.
- Only the lights work - the power door locks and power windows do not work.

Seems like a timing belt problem to me given the mileage and symptoms. Any opinions would be much appreciated -- including repair cost estimate if it is indeed a timing belt issue.
Slim98

Hi slim98,

Thank you for the donation.

Your symptoms do not suggest a timing belt problem but rather a battery or power supply problem.

The battery is weak and the alarm has been activated. Use a jumper and you should be able to start the vehicle.

Check the battery voltage and charging rate after you start the vehicle. The battery most probably needs replacement. Check/clean the battery terminal connections