CRAZY NOISES

1999 Toyota Camry

1999 Toyota Camry 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 140000 miles

I'm more of a " at-home" garage mechanic. I've rebuilt older model Chevrolet's and thats about it.
My Toyota (bought for gas consumption) is making a horrible knocking. No so much the fixing to throw a rod knocking just a weird rattle like noise. The engine runs very rough and so is the idling until I get it up to about 2500 rpm's. The timing belt has been replaced about a year ago and it's acting similar to that time but the engine quit when the belt went out and now it's just acting the same just not quiting. Is it a problem with my lifters possibly or is my timing going bad again? I'm looking for the most obvious and hopefully cheapest thing to possibly fix it. Please help me!
Branttackett

You sure its not a pinging/detonation noise? Type of noise is it a ticking/tapping/rapping/thudding/thumping?

I'd have to say it's closer to a tapping\thumping noise. While running the detonation seems fine. The rpm's fluctuate a little but it's like the motor wants to jump right off the mounts.

Branttackett
Could be engine bearings-is the oil light coming on-

Do this while engine is idling remove each sparkplug wire-this will tell you where the noise is coming from

Come to found out. My timing belt had slipped. Got a new one on. Thanks to your suggestion I did find out somehow along the way I had also 2 fouled out plugs. Seems to be running great now. However.I do have an oil leak appears to be from the gasket, guess will all the hurking and jerking it may have penched or something. Thanks for your help!
-brant

Branttackett