- DRIVER'S SIDE SEAT / LEFT PA

1999 Toyota Camry

1999 Toyota Camry 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic

1) This morning I tried to move the driver's side seat back (my wife drove the car the day before and has to move seat forward) and it would not move back. It moved forwards fine. The back seat portion also moved forward and back. None of these adjustments, naturally helped me. Is it a fuse that is causing the problem?

2) The left passenger window decided about a year or two ago to stop raising the window. The window would go down without issue. The motor would still make noises, but that was it. I tried to check and see what the problem might be but the metal " braces" on the inside part of the door made it almost impossible to get my hands inside to see what the problem was.
Motherheavy

First be sure nothing has fallen into the tracks (loose change, etc) There isnt a fuse for just one direction, you will need to get access to the bottom of the seat or remove the side panel where the control is and use a test light to see if the motor is getting power in the " back" position on the switch
If you can hear the window motor running in the " up" position, odds are good the window regulator is broken, they are cable operated and fail more often then the old design

Jack42
I will try to check for obstructions.

I can tell you that I was able to move the seat all the way forwards so my first thought is that if something was preventing it from moving backwards it would have come loose during the forward movement.

As for a test light, I am not sure how to go about using one. Are there contacts I need to touch the light to or am I using this light just to illuminute the motor area?

Motherheavy
When you suggest I listen to see if I heard the motor with the window in the " up" position do you mean when I try to raise the window using the door panel button?

The reason I ask is that I chose to disconnect the the switch from the motor since it was not working correctly. I have been using some cords/wires to keep the window in the " up" position in the meantime.

Motherheavy
Yes, I was wondering if you could hear the motor working in both up and down

Jack42
I will check to see if I can hear the motor.

Unfortunately it probably won't be until this weekend that I can try this since I will have to pull the door panel and connect the switch to the motor again.

You had also replied to my issue with the driver's seat motor. I checked when I got home and did not find any obstructions. I did not have a chance to check the fuse(s) but I figure if the motor allowed the seat to move forward the fuse must still be good. Is there a way to disconnect the motor in some way so I can manually move the seat back? As of right now my car is undriveable.

Thanks!

Motherheavy
No, If you remove the motor the seat will slide back and forth with nothing to stop it.

Jack42
Thanks.

I've also checked locally with 2 dealerships and it sounds like the seat will have to be unbolted from the floor and then check the motor & shafts.

If nothing else I just want to move the seat back so it is in position for me to drive and then no one else can move the seat.

If there is nothing obstructing the tracks, would this be more a problem of a bad switch or a bad motor?

Motherheavy
Yes, unbolting the seat is the only way to access the motor. Use a test light at the motor to see if the switch is working, could be either one

Jack42
I have removed the switch and am going to try and replace it first.

It's a shame that Toyota didn't build these seats so they could be mechanically moved back to a " middle" position for best position to remove the seat by.

I think my next car is going to have fewer electrically controlled options!

Motherheavy
Engineers rarely take repairs into account when designing cars

Jack42