TICKING SOUND -- VALVE LIFTERS?

1998 Toyota Camry

Noises problem
1998 Toyota Camry 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 105000 miles

My oil light came on, so I took my Camry to a dealership for an oil change. They told me there was a serious problem in my engine -- possibly the valve lifters going bad -- due to an insufficient amount of oil. They let me hear the engine ticking (I hadn't noticed it before), and when they revved the engine there was a different, more pronounced, ticking sound. They told me I needed to either repair the valves or replace the whole engine, costing anywhere from $1,000 to $4,000. Then they suggested that my car wasn't even worth that much and that I should consider getting a new car. (They even closed the hood and said it wasn't even worth the bother of changing the oil.) Was their assessment accurate, or were they pulling a sales line on me?
Ggrubb