XLE SUNROOF DOESNT WORK

1997 Toyota Camry

1997 Toyota Camry 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 180000 miles

sunroof doesnt work at all, it is shut, wont tilt, or slide back, I have the 1997 car manual on vehicle but it says nothing about sunroofs, is it a fuse problem?
Bbeckom

There is a fuse for the sun roof, check that first. If the fuse is ok check the relay for the sun roof motor, if it is ok check the motor itself. Be sure to check that you have a good power and groud at all these locations. My data base unfortuneatly doesn't gove the location of these componets for your vehicle, but your service manaul may and the owner's manual (if you have it) will. You could also try contacting your local Toyota dealer. If you approach them nicely and just ask them componet locations and not to diagnose your vehicle over the phone, most will give you the info.
Do you hear any sounds (click, whir, grind, etc.) When you try to open the roof.
The sun roof slides may also be gummed up or corroded, if accessible with the window closed (and you can hear some sound indicating it is trying to operate, try lubbicating. I suggest PB Blaster, it has the ability to break the bonds of the goo or corrosion that may be binding the regulator and it leaves a lubricant when it dries unlike the most popular stuff in the blue can.
Just a few ideas, let me know if these help or you have any more questions.
Dan

Danauthier
Thank you for your response but I use my sunroof quite frequently, then all of a sudden it just stopped moving in any position, it doesnt make noise, or grinding, not even sealed, could it be fuses, or a motor. No noise when trying to open at all, nothing?

Bbeckom
Yes I agree, it does sound like an electrical problem. As I stated my database does not give me componet locations for your vehicle. It could be the fuse, there should aslo be a relay that controls your sunroof and also the motor that operates the sunroof. Check to be sure you have power and ground at each componet, you can do this with a standard test light. Do you have the owners manual for your car? It should have the location of the fuses and relays. If I remember correctly the switch for your sunroof is on the roof itself (I may be wrong) If it is the motor should be below the switch plate. It may also be a broken or abraided wire in the circuit so start with the fuse and and follow the circuit to the motor.
Hope this helps, let me know,
Dan

Danauthier