THERMOSTAT REPLACEMENT

1996 Toyota Camry

Engine Cooling problem
1996 Toyota Camry 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 70000 miles

I'm noticing that this car takes at least twice as long as my Mother's camry, which is only a year newer and with 40k more miles on it, for the engine to get warm. But when it does warm up, it's quite warm indeed. I wondered what is the most likely cause for this. Thermostat stuck partially open? And if that's the case, is replacing it going to be pretty straight forward and simple. Just take off the housing and pull out the thermostat, etc, etc.?
Thanks for the help.

peter
Peterr

Could be sticking on slightly longer. Cooling system maybe less or more restricted then the other causing it to warm up slower. Maybe your fan is sticking on or turning on too soon. Are the setting ts the same? Could have a issue if the heat is on one and air blowing through it at full speed would take longer then the other one.

Blackop555
Thanks blackop555. No, just going by the time it takes the engine temp gauge to move initially, and then to be up closer to the 'normal' operating range. It's very definitely longer. The cooling fan seems to be working fine. Coolant level good.
Thank you.

Peterr
Difference in veicles I mean really. Could be one has the timing off by 2 degrees or maybe 5 that could cause it. Its nothing really to sweat about. One pump may be more efficent. Lots of factors.

Blackop555
Oh, don't get me wrong.I'm not sweatin' it. And that's the point! I just want it warmer, faster!
Think I" m gonna try a new thermostat and at least eliminate that as a cause. I mean, it's the easiest and cheapest thing to try.

Peterr
Yep pretty decent repair and a good choice to start with.

Thermostat on this vehicle is located in the housing at the engine block where the lower radiator hose meets the engine. It is not on the top of the vehicle as many would think. Be sure to install proper direction of thermostat and use a new gasket.

Blackop555
WHAT? It's not at the top, where the " thermostat housing" is located, at the block? I saw a part in a schematic that was identified as a thermostat housing, at the top hose. That's not it?

Peterr
Whats your vin number and vehicle trim

like camry ls or lx or what?

My diagrams are showing lower. After I get your info I can recheck

Blackop555