REPLACING THE EGR VALVE & TEMPERATURE

1996 Toyota Camry

1996 Toyota Camry 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 115000 miles

I am looking to cut costs on paying someone labor to replace both of these parts and need some direction. It appears that both the EGR Valave and the Temperature Sensor are easy to get to and I think I could very easily replace them on my own. Would you recommend that this be ok since I am not tearing apart anything to dig real deep into this? If so, can you please tell me how to do both? Thank you
Adowdy82

Hi adowdy82,

EGR VALVE
Removal & Installation
For EGR valve servicing, procedure is just primarily an unbolt and bolt-on procedure. It is located at EGR gas temperature sensor. Removal of throttle body would enable ease of removal.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/192750_CompEng96Camry6cylFig02_1.jpg

ENGINE COOLANT TEMPERATURE (ECT) SENSOR
Removal & Installation
1, Ensure ignition is off. Disconnect electrical connector from ECT sensor, located on Coolant Housing On Top Of Engine, At Timing Belt End Of Engine & Contains Dark Gray 2-Pin Electrical Connector

2. Drain cooling system. Remove ECT sensor and gasket. To install, reverse removal procedure using NEW gasket. Refill cooling system.

The draining of the coolant suprised me. Why is it nescessary to remove the coolant before completely removing the old sensor? I am just trying to get a better understanding. I would also like if you could confirm that if my temperature inside the car is not moving from cold to usually half way to show warm, this would in fact be the part that needs to be changed.

Adowdy82
Sensor is immersed in coolant passages so if it is removed, coolant would come out, that is the reason for draining it. It is not really necessary but the procedures were from the manual.

No, the ECt is for the computer. What you need to check/replace would be the Water Temperature Sending Unit, located at tp of engine. It is a 1 wire ( Yellow/Green) connector plugged into the sending unit.

It is near the ECT. Check the connection for looseness or broken wires.

Is there another technical name that would be used for the " Water Temperature sending unit"? I went to Autozone. Com to search for parts under this along with other websites and noone comes back with this? However, I do find a Water Temperature Sensor. Is this what you are speaking of?

Adowdy82
Different people would have a different name for it. Water Temperature Sending Unit/Sensor is the more common name used and that should be the part to look for.