WON'T START

1996 Toyota Camry

I have a 1996 camry LE I4/2.2L with 235,000 miles. It ran as normal yesterday. I cannot start the car this morning (whenever I turn the key on, the engine doesn't run and only one 'click' sound like turn on/off normal switch). All lights are on (the battery is good, < 6 months new). I am wondering if it's the problem of distributor (rotor/cap) or timing belt? I changed timing belt at over 180,000 mile last time & it doesn't reach manufacture suggested 60K yet.

Thank you very much for your help!
MorrisGA

Try cleaning the battery terminals and make sure you have a tight connections-this is where we start-we got a long way to go-to get to the starter

I got new battery several mouths ago. The connectors are very clean.

By the way, I changed the distributor cap & rotor after posting the message here. It worked for two days until this morning. I had to crank several times to start it. Looks like somewhere in ingnition part (starter?) Has problem. Whenever getting the sparking, it works fine. At least, I know it's not timing belt wrong. Should I try to change the spark cables next? The cables still are original. I changed the sparks less than a year.

Also, it's 95 not 96. It's 1st time it lets me down besides dead battery.

Thank you very much for your help!

MorrisGA
I had to crank several times to start it. Sounds like we got good battery and starter-lets get in the ignition system change the s/p cables and report back your findings-then will follow thru with the fuel system-meanwhile try to get a fuel pressure gauge, you gonna be needing it

I had to crank several times to start it. Sounds like we got good battery and starter-lets get in the ignition system change the s/p cables and report back your findings-then will follow thru with the fuel system-meanwhile try to get a fuel pressure gauge, you gonna be needing it[/quote: 312de88bcb]

Thank you very much for prompt help!
Maybe, I am idle. Do you think it's related to A/C? I tried for a week. Whenever I turn on the A/C, then, I got trouble to start the car 2nd day morning. Besides, only change I did is the oil: I shifted to 5W-30 from 10W-30 on last oil change as I think for summer time 5W is better. I may shift back to 10W this weenend to see if it's the problem.

Thanks again.

MorrisGA
Find the IACV on the throttle body take it out and clean it. There's an idle-up solenoid that the computer commands when the AC kick ons to increase the rpm to compensate for the AC load-check that too.

10W30 to 5W-30 is not a good idea-the thinner the oil the better it is for winter.

Thank you very much for prompt help and sorry for delay response.

In the past several weeks, Atlanta is in recorded high temperature. I didn't want to work long time in garage (I think it, at least, takes me a hour to clean IACV) but searched web under AC. The another reason: the idle is under good shape: ~800 warm/~1000 rpm cold. I did change the oil back to 10W, however, it didn't help. In another site, it mentioned this might be the problem of coolant temp sensor. I changed it (only a couple minutes). But, made case worse: I couldn't start at all! Here is my conclusion after several days' thinking: it's time let it retire after over a decade service & 235K. Just like a old guy, he may have no problem to walk or run slowly for a while. But, he will be in trouble if you let him run fast (summer time, light traffic. Over 80 is normal) under severe environment (95-104 F for continue several weeks) and with heavy load (AC on). I really like it but I cannot do much for it. Also, its timing belt closes to the life time too. I may trade or donate it in a couple of months.

Thanks again for valuable comments. I do learn a lot!

MorrisGA