HOW TO PROPERLY BLEED THE BRAKING SYSTEM

1994 Toyota Camry

Brakes problem
1994 Toyota Camry 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 221000 miles

I have just replaced a caliper on the front left side of 1994 Toyota Camry LE and put back into place a bolt that is between a brake line and a caliper. Now I need to bleed the air out of the line system. How should I do it step by step? I have bought a brake fluid DOT 3 for this car, but should I top off the brake fluid first to the full mark before I start the process? I have been told that it is not required to replace a brake fluid with a new one when bleeding the brakes, I can just add a new fluid to the old one, is that right? Do I need to turn the key into any position when I am bleeding the brakes or it is not necessary?

Db2010

Hi db2010,

If the brake fluid in master is dirty, it is best to replace all the fluids in system. Siphon out the fluids in the master cylinder reservoir and clean it before adding new fluids. Bleed all the wheels till new fluids comes out.

If brake fluids are clean, you can just add fresh fluids and proceed with bleeding.

BLEEDING PROCEDURES
CAUTION: DO NOT allow reservoir to run dry during brake bleeding procedure. Use only clean brake fluid. Ensure no dirt or other foreign matter contaminates brake fluid. DO NOT mix different brands of brake fluid, as they may not be compatible. DO NOT spill brake fluid on vehicle, as it may damage paint. If brake fluid contacts paint, immediately wash with water.

1. If master cylinder is rebuilt or reservoir is empty, bleed master cylinder first. Bleed wheels in sequence. Start on wheel with longest hydraulic line, and work toward wheel with shortest hydraulic line.

2. Raise and support vehicle. Ensure brake fluid reservoir is at least half full during bleeding procedure. Connect one end of transparent vinyl tube to bleeder plug. Submerge other end of tube in a container half filled with clean brake fluid.

3. Have an assistant depress brake pedal several times and hold in depressed position. Loosen bleeder plug, and drain fluid into container. Tighten bleeder plug.

NOTE: Ensure brake pedal remains depressed until bleeder plug is tightened.

4. Refill brake fluid reservoir as necessary. Repeat step 3) until air is no longer discharged. Tighten bleeder plug to 74 INCH lbs. (8 N.M). Ensure fluid leakage is not present. Add fluid to reservoir. Repeat procedure for remaining wheels.

Ignition key need not be on while bleeding.