- NO OIL PRESSURE?

1987 Toyota Camry

I have a question about my 1987 Toyota Camry with about 120,000 miles on it and a 4 cylinder 3S-FE DOHC engine.

I replaced a cracked head with a used planed and pressure tested head. The car starts and runs well, but the engine has no oil pressure (I changed the sending unit) and it leaks oil at the back of the head.

The replacement head gasket is made of layers of steel unlike the original one with fiberous padding. Could this be the cause of the leak and the lack of oil pressure? Could it be the oil pump as well? Any suggestions or similar experiences are appreciated.
Newyorkcares

Get an oil pressure gauge hook it up where the sending unit is-could be the pumper/oil galleries/bad engine bearings and the gauge itself. Ground the sending unit wire, any movement on the gauge?

Get an oil pressure gauge hook it up where the sending unit is-could be the pumper/oil galleries/bad engine bearings and the gauge itself. Ground the sending unit wire, any movement on the gauge?[/Quote: 65178e85ad]

Thank you! I attached the oil gauge and grounded the wire as you suggested, but there's still zero oil pressure. Can you think of anything else that could help? Thanks.

Newyorkcares
Get an oil pressure gauge hook it up where the sending unit is-could be the pumper/oil galleries/bad engine bearings and the gauge itself. Ground the sending unit wire, any movement on the gauge?[/Quote: 597b90bd7c]

Thank you! I attached the oil gauge and grounded the wire as you suggested, but there's still zero oil pressure. Can you think of anything else that could help? Thanks.[/Quote: 597b90bd7c]

What is the oil pressure gauge giving you while in idle-if its zero then the pump is kaput.