STARTER

1998 Toyota Avalon

1998 Toyota Avalon 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 90000 miles

My avalon will not start. Ignition makes loud clicking noise but will not turn over engine. All electrical seems to be working. Is it the starter or solenoid and where are they located?
Zornag

If you hear a click, then either the battery is weak, or the starter, possibly bad battery cable connections, check and clean both ends of BOTH cables! Dissconnect negative(-) first, and put it on last! If no click the starter relay is no good! Follow the positve(red) battery cable, it will take you right to it.

Merlin2021
Most starters go out on this year model Avalon and Camary. Do NOT replace the starter. There is a $12 part inside the starter that goes bad. It is a 1/4 inch thick piece of cooper that is struck each time the starter is engaged. It wears out over time. Toyota and most mechanics will not tell you this because they want to charge you $500 to replace the starter and battery. Yes my 1999 Avaoln starter was going out at 90K miles. I replace the cooper bar and it has 182K on it and going strong.

Gbruns2