ALIGNMENT AND SUSPENSION

2004 Toyota 4Runner

Suspension problem
2004 Toyota 4Runner 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 80750 miles

Brought this into a Big O tires today. Wanted an oil change. Was talked into an alignment test and was showed the result. All of the measurements were in range except 1. On the fron left the " Toe" measurement was 0.16 and the range was -0.04 to 0.13. Every other one was just right. So I paid $74.99 for an alignment and that column now reads 0.04. Did I need an alignment?
Next I received a phone call from the mechanic saying my front brakes " Read 0" and I needed new brake Pads. I was charged 120.16 for Brake Pads and 125.00 for Labor, 5.00 for brake fluid disposal, 12.98 for Brake Hardware Kit.
Now I'm up to 395.12 and next I'm told my Struts and shocks are leaking and need to be replaced. The front would be $600 and the rear $400.00. I asked why I would need those and he said " well you have 80,000 miles on the car". I left without buying the shocks and struts and wonder if anyone in this forum could make me understand if and why I need shocks and strust on a vehicle I thought was good for 250,000 miles
Jerseylynch

Ok let me ask how mechanicly incline are you and as for the shocks and stuts go to the back of truck and push down on bumper a few times and let it go count the bounces after you let go and let me know what you get and check for flat spots on tires that will tell you how they are working and the reason I ask about how mechanicly incline you are is you can do most of the work that was done your self and it would only cost for parts the front pads for brakes are about $25-$50 and the rotors are about $55 each and the same for the rear and no it didnt need an alignment it was not that far out shocks are about $35 each stuts are about $95 each places like that that is how they make there money they have you do more to the cars than realy needs to be done

Jnovack