TELESCOPIC ANTENNA

2000 Toyota 4Runner

Noises problem
2000 Toyota 4Runner 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 135000 miles

The antenna on my wifes toyota has been broke for a year. When you start the car you hear a grinding noise from the motor that extends the antenna. The antenna is in the extended position and works fine.I have tried getting to the base from the fender well from the engine compartment and through the door frame with no luck. Is this thing on a separate fuse that could be pulled?It is driving me insane. How can I disconnect the motor on this antenna?
James Hughey

Hi James Hughey,

I don't know about the fuse layout but if you can get to the motor, you would be able to disconnect the coupler.

Another way of doing it is to disable the remote wire from the radio.

Hi James Hughey,

I had the same problem in my truck, all I did to fix that problem was replacing the power antenna mast (the metal extended portion). All the grinding noise that you hear from the motor is the nylon cable that is broken, this nylon cable extends and retracts the antenna. the broken part of this cable is touching the teeth on the gears inside the motor that's what makes the grinding noise.
You can get the power antenna mast from the dealer it costed me 35.00 dlls. this will do the job.
Here the link where tells you the step by step on how to replace the antenna mast.

http://www.2carpros.com/articles/mitchell1eautorepair-car-repair-manuals

Good Luck!!

Diylover