TOYOTA 4RUNNER ENGINE PROBLEM

2000 Toyota 4Runner

2000 Toyota 4Runner 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 198750 miles

I have a Toyota 4Runner, 2000, with 198,750 on it. I am getting the check engine light which I thought was just O2 sensors, which I replaced. Turns out I do need a new cat. My mechanic turned the check engine off for me, and now it's back on. I am in CA and want to find a legal cat and bring it to a muffler shop to repair. Any suggestions on how to get a good CA-legal cat for my vehicle?

Also, I have had some phantom starting issues as well. Not the battery, alternator, or fuel pump. All check ok. I thought maybe Solenoid but I don't really have that much knowledge. Any ideas on what else could cause problem? My mechanic cleaned the sensors (I think O2 and Air if those are in fact different), but any other suggestions to check are appreciated.

thx,
John
Johnnsb