TRANSMISSION SEEMS TO SLIP

1994 Toyota 4Runner

1994 Toyota 4Runner 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 182000 miles

I just (two days ago) had the timing belt, water pumps etc changed, as the engine oil was leaking. The transmission was fine when I took the car in.

The last two days, the car has been behaving funny. It struggles to get moving from a hard stop and also does not move initially when in Reverse.

Once the car is in motion, it runs fine, though occassionally it seems as if the engine is revving up but not picking up speed.

The mechanic says that the oil smells burnt, and that the transmission needs replacing. He has advised I use an old transmission - perhaps from a junked car which has 80000 miles on it. The transmission will cost me $1300, plus the labor.

I am wondering how the problem could have showed up so suddenly. How do I know for sure it is indeed the transmission. Should I use an old transmission as he suggests?

Thank you for your advise.
Brahmax