DOG OF AN ENGINE!

1994 Toyota 4Runner

Honestly, by the time you got done swapping the entire engine/trans/transfer case and every related computer and wiring harness, you could just get a truck with the 3.4 in it. Those 3.0's werent Toyotas shining moment for sure.
Jack42

1994 Toyota 4Runner 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 161000 miles

i own a 1994 4runner sr5 v6 3.0 this engine sucks it has no power and my particular engine seeem unusually loud when I gas it. I am considering pulling that engine and putting in a different one I used to own a 1996 toyota tacoma with the v6 3.4 and that engine had alot of power and got great milage. My question to you would b A. Can I swap to that engine in my 4 runner B. Where should I shop fora new engine C. Will this engine be a good choice to add power to my current truck and up my milage? Any information would b greatly appriciated thanks again

2CarPros-Archives
Hello southlake215

You may have a Vacuum leaks that may cause the fuel trim to run rich as the computer tries to compensate for the extra air being sucked into the engine through the leak. Check at the exhaust connection to the engine for the loud noise.
With 161000 miles you need a total tune up. Add dry gas to the tank to eliminate some of the moisture. Remove the throttle body and use carbureted fluid to clear any gum out. If you have engine light please mention it so we can help how to retrieve the code. I believe this will save you lot of money compare to the cost of new engine/trans/transfer case and every related computer and wiring harness, this is same Jack said.
Fix the loud noise and total tune up will increase power and fuel mileage.

A new engine costs thousands of dollars, so all other options should be exhausted first.
Make sure your car can support any upgrades you plan on installing. If your new engine will not be a stock engine (also called a " crate" engine) then you need to make sure your ideal upgrade is feasible. The best way to do this is to contact the dealer for " mounting kits" or " upgrade kits" for your car model and desired engine. If mounting kits are not available, chances are you'll need to talk to an auto-body specialist about doing a custom upgrade. Custom engine installations are often very expensive.
Order from a dealer or directly from the manufacturer. Go to a car dealer specializing in your car brand, Ordering from a source other than a reputable dealer or manufacturer can lead to problems; you may end up with a refurbished engine rather than a true, brand new, factory-produced engine.
This may be costly.

Mathiaso
Hmm well would there b anything I could do to try and get
more power and better mpg's?

2CarPros-Archives
Ok I'll try all that for sure and no I don't have an engine light but the engine only has 50k on it it's either a remanufactured engine or a crate motor either way it has less than 161k on it that's why this is songrudtrating well thanks again I am going to try a tune up

2CarPros-Archives
Try all that and comeback so we can continue.

Mathiaso