I FOUND WHERE MY VIBRATION IS COMING FR

1985 Toyota 4Runner

1985 Toyota 4Runner 4 cyl Four Wheel Drive Manual 295000 miles

So I got my wheels balanced and it was not that. I asked the mechanic to inspect it and he found that the drive coming out of the transmission has some play in it. I am 95% confident that is where my vibration is coming from.

The mechanic could grab the drive shaft (close to the tranny) and wiggle it around. It was not horrible but noticable.

The mechanic mentioned that I might be able to take the rear part of the tranny off (because there were some bolts there) and just replace a bearing and seal or what ever else needs to). He recommended I go to a tranny shop.

-Is this possible to replace just the tail end of the tranny?

-Will it do horrible damage to the tranny if I keep driving it?

-How much might this cost? Parts? Labor?

-Could a novice mechanic such as myself do this job?

Thanks for the help. Below are messages from previous discussion on this issue.

Craig

M_J_RITZEL Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 8: 52 am Post subject:

check the rims themselves to make sure they are not bent. With the car up on jacks try to wiggle the front wheels up and down then back and forth. If there is play then look into the bearings and other steering compondents.

vanhca40 Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 9: 32 am Post subject: 1985 Toyota 4Runner Vibration in my pedals at about 40-60 m

I definitely will start with the wheels and get them balanced. I hope it is that but I have had my wheels out of balance before and it feels much different. If the front bearings were causing it, wouldn't I feel the vibration in the steering wheel? I don't really feel it in the steering wheel.

Thanks,

Craig

M_J_RITZEL Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 8: 33 am Post subject:

I would start with the wheels, have them balanced. If that does not help then check the front wheel compondents, such as bearings. Most vibrations that start at around 40mph up have to do with balancing or the wheel itself. This does not mean there could be other things but it is a good place to start

vanhca40 Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 6: 52 am Post subject: 1985 Toyota 4Runner Vibration in my pedals at about 40-60 m

Shakes or Wobbles problem
1985 Toyota 4Runner 4 cyl Four Wheel Drive Manual 292000 miles

I get a vibration in my pedals at about 40-60 mph. It gives a dull vibration to the rest of my car. I thought it was my transmission (and I guess it still could be) but when I put my truck in neutal and coast at 40-60 mph, the vibration continues. So I thought that would eliminate the posibility of it being my transmission. What could it be? I just had my rear brakes replaced a few months ago, could it be the new drums? Could it be my U-joints? Could it be my ring and pinon? Appreciate the help.

Thanks,

Craig
Vanhca40

Hi vanhca40,

So it is the transfer case flange that has excessive side play. Behind the cover there is a bearing , one each for the front and rear flange.

Removing the cover is easy but removing the bearing would be another story.

Did you check if the propeller shaft U joints are good?

I have seen cases of the flange nut getting loose and retightening it works. You would need to disconnect the propeller shaft to be able to check the flange nut torquing.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/192750_Transfer85RunnerFig01_1.jpg

Yes you are correct, I definitely said transmission but it is the transfer case that I am talking about. I did check the U joints and they are good. There was a little play between mating of the sleeve yoke and the propeller shaft. I may replace that too, but I don't think that is my main problem, although it could have caused that bearing in the transfer case to wear sooner, of course if its just the bearing that is bad. I hope that is all it is. Do you think that bearing is press-fit? Thanks for the help, definitely helped diagnose my problem. I will also check to see how tight the flange nut is also once I start digging into things.

Craig

Vanhca40
The bearings seldom wears out unless oil is lacking for extended periods, but tends to have excessive clearance due to the flange nut losing its torque. They are a close fit but not that tight to require bench pressing.

After removing the flange joints, retightening the nut would usually resolve the excessive clearance problem as the bearings are conical type and adjustable.

Bad U joints would cause vibrations and over time they would cause the flange nut to be loosened so that should be resolved before replacing the oil seal and retorquing.