MODELS JUST CHANGED BATTERY

2006 Suzuki Other

2006 Other Suzuki Models 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 103000 miles

Grand Vitara - Luxury

After changing my battery, when I try to put my car in gear it wants to die. Did a OBD scan and it showed that I had a P0102 code which was a Mass Air Flow sensor low voltage issue. I purchased a brand new sensor cleared the code and it still wants to die when putting it into drive. Yet no other codes are generated. I have never had a check engine light come on. It also only does this when the car is warmed up, doesn't do this when the vehicle has been sitting over night. I read somewhere that when the battery is disconnected on a Suzuki that the computer loses all its settings and has to relearn them all again. I read it could take up to 40 key cycles. Is there a faster way to do this? Do you think I had a bad sensor or could it all be from the computer trying to do a relearn?
Pdutton

I read somewhere that when the battery is disconnected on a Suzuki that the computer loses all its settings and has to relearn them all again.

When the battery is disconnected the computer loses it memory programs and must undergo a relearning process. The idle relearning below is for Verona not for your modle couldn't come up with yours in Alldata/Mit1 auto references try doing it and see what happens

Idle Learn Procedure

Whenever the throttle body and/or Engine Control Module (ECM) are replaced, the following idle learn procedure must be performed: Turn the ignition ON.
Initialize the MTIA using the scan tool.
Initialize the Engine Control Module (ECM) using the scan tool. (Replacement ECM only)
Turn the ignition OFF for 10 seconds.
Turn the scan tool OFF.
Turn the ignition ON for 5 seconds.
Turn the ignition OFF for 10 seconds.
Start the engine in park/neutral.
Allow the engine to run until the engine coolant is above 185 °F (85 °C).
Turn the A/C ON.
If the vehicle is equipped with an automatic transaxle, apply the parking brake. While pressing the brake pedal, place the transaxle in D (drive).
Turn the A/C OFF.
If the vehicle is equipped with an automatic transaxle, apply the parking brake. While pressing the brake pedal, place the transaxle in P (Park).
Turn the ignition OFF. The idle learn procedure is complete.

First what is the MTIA? I did the rest of your procedure and my car still wants to die when changing form drive to park. How many cycles before the computer has relearned. I can't believe people have to go through this when they change a battery?

Pdutton
Before the engine warms up tap on the MAF sensor and see if the engine reacts-If it continues my last suggestion is to bring it in to the dealership and have them clear it or just do the key cycling. I have no further info in regards to the relearning process that is as close I can get. Sorry