LOUD ENGINE NOISE

2002 Suzuki Aerio

2002 Suzuki Aerio 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 130000 miles

My mothers was driving her car home the other day and dident realize that she had it in second gear. The car started to slow itself down when she pulled it off the road it died. The code that it gave indicated that the front catylitic converter was bad. We replaced the cat and the car started right up. It sounds fine at idle but makes a loud tapping noise when you rev the engine. It will not go above 30 on the road before it tries to die. Our mechanic believes that the timing may have slipped. There are two timing chains that can be seen when you remove the valve cover, however they seem to still be tight. My mother said that the car got hot, but never overheated; and she was on back roads where her speed never got over 35. Sorry for the long post, but this car has us frustrated. Thank you
Cronus_2