ENGINE TAPPING SOUND

2001 Subaru Outback

2001 Subaru Outback 4 cyl All Wheel Drive Automatic 68000 miles

When you start up the car it was make a constant tapping sound whne u rev it up it speeds up. While driving around it still makes the tapping noise right along with the rpms get high its speeds up. But after it gets warmed it almost goes completly away. Is this just from heavy oil and being cold? Or is it a lifter gone bad? Or is it worse? Ive heard many dif things that it could be. I also heard that if u run some sea foam threw a couple times that should help with the tapping.
SnoBrdrBum

What weight oil are you using?
I am pretty sure your vehicle calls for either a 5w30 or a 5w20.

It could also be a bad or week lifter.

.

Obxautomedic
The subaru boxer engine is known for its tapping, mine has been doing the same thing ever since I bought it used over two years ago. I have driven from new york to south carolina a number of times with it and it still does the same thing. I run about 80 lbs of oil pressure when I start it but irt goes down to 40 when warmed up. You can pull the engine and fix the lifters or like me leave it alone. When it is warmer out it will not be so load when starting. I have a friend that has a year old subaru outback and it does the same thing. The funny thing is that it is not all the engines that do this.

M_H_RITZEL