TIMING BELT PRICING

Subaru Other

Hello
I own a 1995 Subaru Impreza L with 160,000+ miles and I believe the engine size is 1.8.

Recently my car has been shutting off while driving and is making some sort of rattling noise under the hood (again, while driving). I took it to a mechanic who has stated the noise is related to the timing belt. He has suggested that he install a new " pulley kit" at the same time, and that it is standard procedure with Subaru cars. Now, I know absolutely nothing about cars and he is telling me it will cost over $900 to make the repairs.

I know my vague description of the problem is most likely not enough to enable you to guess as to what the problem would be, but is the pricing in the right range?
Jennelena