REAR DIFFERENTIAL?

Subaru Other

I own a 1989 Subaru GL 4 Wheel drive wagon with 101000 on it. It has the shift on demand 4wheel drive. When I drove it in 4 wheel today it seemed to stop moving 2 times. Once in reverse and once in forward. Now I have driven this car in 4 wheel a couple of other times forward and never had this happen before. It is almost like someone is stepping on the brakes. I hear a squeeking comming from the rear and I can't shift it out of 4 wheel until I rock back and forth til it loosens. Usually if It happens in reverse I have to moe forward etc. I was told this could be my rear differential or my transfer case. I just bought the car and I love it. HELP.
can it be something that serious or do I just need to have fluids put in? I would appreciate any help. Thanks
Budjr52

Check the fluid levels in your transfer case. Unless you know that the fluid was changed recently. This is a very simple process if you have not done so.

Cf_anderson