OVERHEATING IMPREZA OUTBACK WAGON

Subaru Other

I have a 1999 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport Wagon with about 135,000 miles. I bought the car with 71,000 miles. This morning I drove about 10 miles and when I reached my destination I noticed smoke pouring out from under the hood. I let it cool with the hood open, then discovered the coolant reserve tank appeared to be empty, although the main chamber was full. I filled the reservoir with coolant, and restarted. No smoke, so I drove the car home - about 10 miles. No smoke, still some smell. It has been sitting for a few hours, and I'm wondering if I have an urgent situation on my hands, or if it is safe to continue driving. In reading through some related questions, I am wondering if I may have a blown head gasket? Might I have caused damage with a one time low coolant situation? Thank you.
Muddypaws

Have you ever had the coolant & waterpump changed?

If not this might be a wise idea
also it might pay to get both radiator tanks checked & as they can get old & brittle with age

i had mine done & had the same thing happen

its something to do with coolant getting splashed onto the exhaust & therefore causiing a great steam, y cloud & stressing the driver out

beaware that when the coolant, waterpump, tanks are changed that an air lock can happen so keep a close watch on the water levels for the next month as sometimes there can be heaps & then when the air is finally released there is hardly any.

Hope this helps should you need more info contact me at sales@dargavilleprint. Co. Nz

thanks

Wrx246
It would also pay to replace the thermostat
thanks

Wrx246