JERKY AND CRUNCHING NOISE FROM DRIVE TRAIN

Subaru Other

1998 SUBARU 140000 MILES 2.5 AUTOMATIC HAS A JEKRY/CRUNCHING/ POPPING NOISE. (SORRY I CANT THINK OF A BETTER DESCRIPTION ) THIS OCCURS ONLY WHEN THE VEHICLE IS MOVING SLOWING AND IN A TURN IN EITHER DIRECTION SUCH AS AT AN INTERSECTION AND GIVING IT SOME GAS TO TURN RIGHT OR LEFT. ONCE AT SPEED OR DRIVING STRAIGHT ALL IS WELL. IN ADDITION TO THIS THERE IS ALSO SOME SHAKE AND VIBRATION THAT SEEMS TO OCCUR ONLY WHEN THE VEHICLE IS PULLING HARDER SUCH AS CLIMBING A HILL BUT DOES NOT SEEM TO BE THERE ALL THE TIME. I SEE THIS AS A SEPERATE PROBLEM BUT INCLUDE IT IN CASE SOMEONE ELSE THINKS IT RELEVANT. ALL THE DRIVE SHAFTS SEEM OK EXCEPT FOR ONE HAS A SPLIT BOOT.
Comet60

My 02 impreza was doing the same thing, but it started and within a week was undrivable. The mechanic wants to replace my transmission, so be aware, and let me know what you find out.

What_the_nut
I have a 97 outback that does the slow turn jerking and thumping thing also.I went over the hole drive train twice. Replaced a bad trans mount. That wasnt it.I think it is a rear cv joint. Dont know wich one. The both look fine from the outside. Im working on it this weekend. Ill let you know. Chuck

Voyger2
Well I put a fuse in the FWD holder under the hood to see what would happen and the the problem stopped completly. Next I canged the trans. Fluid/filter and the problem almost has gone away.I removed the fuse.I still dont know what the problem is but its improving. Iv ruled out a rear CV joint.I will keep you posted. CHUCK

Voyger2
Well I put a fuse in the FWD holder under the hood to see what would happen and the the problem stopped completly. Next I canged the trans. Fluid/filter and the problem almost has gone away.I removed the fuse.I still dont know what the problem is but its improving. Iv ruled out a rear CV joint.I will keep you posted. CHUCK[/quote: d6eb624727]

Voyger2
After changing trans fluid/filter problem has stopped. The fluid was real nasty.I recomend a change. Now when I make a right turn the dome light comes on then goes out. Will it ever end?

Voyger2