CATALYTIC CONVERTER

Subaru Other

I have a 2001 subaru outback, 120K. The car is running fine but the check engine light recently went on. The dealer scanned the code and told me that the catalytic converter needs replacing. Subsequently the light went off for about 50 miles and is now back on. Since replacing the converter is a $700 repair (!) I want to make sure this is the issue. Are there other things to consider or ways to substantiate the diagnosis?
Sbien

Get an emissions check done. They're usually not very expensive and if you cat converter is in trouble then it will have excess emmissions.
The most likely reason the check engine light went off is because the mechanic probably deleted the fault code and it returned because the fault was still present.

KoZeN
Actually this is true intermittancy as the dealer did not reset the code. I'm not sure what this means about the converter but I like your idea about the emissions check better than forking out for a new converter. Correct me if I am wrong but it would seem that a converter either works or not. Intermittancy should mean something else?

Sbien
Depends on driving habits. If your car had a cat efficiency code, it will come back again and again until the cat is replaced. There is an o2 sensor behind it that monitors how well it is working

Jack42
I live in a rural area and it appears that actual tailpipe testing is not available here. One place offered me a chemical fuel and exhaust system clean out or flush that he said would also clean the catalytic converter. Price=$70. Is there any value to this sort of service?

Sbien
Nope. Even if your vehicle can passs the emissions test, if the o2 sensor doesnt see it as being clean enough, it will light the light

Jack42