97 IMPREZA WITH A COUPLE OF SMALL ISSUES...

1997 Subaru Other

I have a 1997 Impreza Outback Sport with 285K on it (highway miles), still running great, still starts every time and looks good.

That said, I have 2 current issues.

First I have what I would think to be brake noise, coming from the right front. It only happens when I apply the brakes while moving forward, and doesn’t happen in reverse. It’s not a constant squeal, its an intermittent rubbing noise that is slightly metallic sounding, as if the pads were hitting a rough spot on the rotor each time it came around. It almost sounds like it could be suspension or maybe a bearing, but only when the brakes are applied.

Recent history: Had some noticeable vibration in the front of the car. I don’t know what went first, but I ended up having to do tires, tie rod, and CV joints. I needed tires anyway, and I had never had to touch the tie rods or CV joints since I’ve owned the car, so I can’t really complain after 285K. The “brake” noise started shortly after the CV joints and tie rods were replaced.

With all of the vibration up front that I had for a bit, plus the milage wear and tear, I’m wondering if something else might be loose or worn out, like a bearing? Any thoughts?

I had to have the front wheels rebalanced on Saturday to get the last of the vibration out of the front end. I asked them to take a look at the brakes and see if there was anything obviously wrong with them. They couldn’t see anything wrong, though they did not drive the car or really get into examining it. Any thoughts?

Second: The car has a Viper System 3 alarm since new (dealer installed). I jump started a friend’s motorcycle the weekend, within a few hours I noticed that the alarm that used to lock/unlock all the doors when arming or disarming now only lock/unlock the drivers side door. Also, the driver’s door lock used to unlock all the other doors in the car when it was locked or unlocked. I assumed this was a standard Subaru function, but perhaps it was due to the alarm? I’ve jumped cars plenty of times in the 10 years that I’ve had the car, and never had a problem. I’m wondering if the jump somehow shorted or rest the alarm functions? And how do I fix it?
Ogden