FORESTER MANUAL 90K - ENGINE CUTS OUT OCCASIONALLY

2001 Subaru Other

When at cruising speed - i.E. Not accelerating, ~2200 RPMs, occasionally the car feels like I've taken my foot off of the gas, then resumes. Once the engine stalled as I was decelerating and I had the clutch in. I let the clutch out and the engine immediately caught and kept going.

Seems like a fuel problem to me - but looking for ideas.

Recently (about a month ago), I changed the fuel filter in addition to changing the differential and transmission fluids and the belts (not the timing belt).

2 years ago, I had a leaking valve cover, which fouled the spark plugs. Somewhat similar symptoms, but in that case, I would get the check engine light on, here, I'm not.

I am overdue to check/change the PCV, planning on doing so soon - could that be a part of it?

Someone mentioned that mass airflow sensor caused a similar problem, possibility?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Dexlargo