MODELS ENGINE LAGS WHEN TRYING TO ACCELERA

1994 Subaru Other

1994 Other Subaru Models 4 cyl Four Wheel Drive Manual 190000 miles

When I try to accelerate in my subaru, especially whenthe engine hasn't warmed up, the engine lags around the 2500 rpm mark. It will stutter in an on and off way which makes the car lurch forward in small intervals. It is obvious that the engine is having trouble firing consistently but I just recently changed the spark plugs and all of the spark plug wires are in good shape and on snuggly. The air filter is slightly dirty but not clogged by any means so the only solution I am able to come to is that the distributor is malfunctioning. I would greatly appreciate some help in the matter before I take it to a mechanic or blow money on a new distributor I might not need. Thanks for your help.
Loudogsdad