GENERAL INFO

1996 Subaru Legacy

1996 Subaru Legacy n/a miles

Hi,

Not really a repair question, but more of a general info question.

Do you know if Subaru ever made the Legacy Sedan with a manual transmission and selectable 4 wheel drive (not AWD)?

Right now I drive a 1992 Chevy 3/4 ton but am looking at smaller more fuel efficient cars. I have several friends who drive a Legacy and they all love them, but milage is only slightly better than my truck. I'm guessing this is due to the AWD as I see no way that a 2.2 liter engine would use almost the same amount of fuel as my 6.5 liter engine. I know mine is diesel, but still, it has 8 large cylinders as opposed to 4 relatively small ones, the total capacity is 3 times as large, the truck weighs probably twice as much as the car and the car is way more aerodynamic.

I am looking at a Subaru due to the fact that they apparently do so well in the snow and rain. I live in northeast WA state and we got lots of snow, so I really need something with good traction and handling. But the milage is kind of driving me off here.

Any advice?

Joe1652