CLUTCH

1998 Subaru Impreza

1998 Subaru Impreza 4 cyl All Wheel Drive Manual 135000 miles

My clutch was feeling soft the other day, so I tightening the clutch cable. Then I went to try it and it would not engage. I tried lossening the cable and adjusting it back and it still wouldn't engage any gears. Are there any tests I can run to find out what might be the issue here. Thank You
Banks4777

Clutch cable? I was not aware of any clutch cable on these later years of subarus.

This is not a full hydraulic system?

If it is I would peel back the clutch master cylinder under neath the dash and look for fluid going past the seal. I would also inspect the slave the same way as the master, followed by flex lines, hardlines, fittings for any possible leaks. If there is a leak this means you have drawn in air into the system causing a poor pedal.

Also check clutch fluid level in the resivior. If there is a leak it will need to be fixed and the system reblead of any possible air.

Arc_55