USED REAR DIFFERENTIAL / TEETH

2005 Subaru Forester

Drive Train Axles Bearings problem
2005 Subaru Forester 4 cyl All Wheel Drive Manual 100000 miles

The rear differential is going out on my 2005 Forester (2 liter engine, manual transmission). As I plan to sell the car soon, I would like to purchase a used replacement. I have found a place that possibly has one, but they cannot tell me for sure which of the three Subaru RDs they have might fit my car (they only know that one of them definitely came off a wrecked Forester) - they can only give me serial numbers off the units.

They asked me to tell them how many teeth are on the cog on my current unit. I figure this information must be available without having to take the unit apart (still need to drive the car until the part arrives). Who can help?

Also, is it possible to determine the original model and year of a car from the serial number of a part such as a differential?

Many thanks!
Toosheds