IDLEING WITH THE AIR CONDITIONER?

2005 Subaru Forester

2005 Subaru Forester 6 cyl All Wheel Drive Automatic 70000 miles

2005 Subaru Forester LLBean, runs like new, never had trouble with it. 60,000 miles on it. A great car. Up until we had some engine work recently, but has even run wonderfully since the work, about 5 months, now.
It's 110 degrees in Kansas and I had to run some errands. I left my wife in the car at two places, with the air conditioner running and the cd player playing. It took almost 2 hours to complete my tasks. Finally, when leaving the last location the stereo quits as I'm backing out, then the car kind of lunges, like I popped it into gear while accelerating. Which I was sitting still. And the car acted like it was going to die. I left the air and the player off until I got out of town and onto the highway. We arrived at home, and an hour or so later, I went to the grocery store and it sounded like it didn't want to start, but it did. The following morning I went out to go to work, and it barely turned over twice then just clicked like a playing card on a bicycle spoke. Dead battery.
I put a battery charger on it at 10 amps for 2 hours. It has started now, maybe 20 times with no trouble.
I also went to put gas in cause I was just under a quarter tank, and it wouldn't let me put in, but a couple cents at a time! It was bubbling back out and I tried to open the unleaded flap with my finger, thinking it was an air or pressure issue, and it still bubbled. It wasn't the nozzle, recently replaced, so it was new. I just assumed that the heat played a factor in warm fumes or something? That's never happened to me on any vehicle. So, I put in 15.00 bucks.A few cents at a time, and went on my way.
Any suggestions? Could the heat have played a part in sucking my car battery dead? Did it idle too long with the air conditioner running? Help?
Sincerely,
Subaru in Eudora
Charlton.walker