HEATER BLOWING COLD AIR

2002 Subaru Forester

Heater problem
2002 Subaru Forester 4 cyl All Wheel Drive Automatic 124, 00 miles

I'm having problems with my heater and defrost on my 2002 Forester. The heater is blowing cold air and the defrost isn't working (the rear defrost does, however). When I turn on the heater, it'll blow cold air for a while and then all of a sudden it'll start blowing hot air, but then will kick back to cold air. The front defrost doesn't work on either the cold or hot setting. Any ideas what to do?
Stokcarr2

Ok I would check the fresh air intake door infront of the blower motor for proper operation. From what I can see it looks like you should be able to remove the blower motor and see if the door opens and closes as you set the recirculation or not. Then there is a blend door that is between the heater core and the A/C evaporator core. This door is opereated by a blend door motor that allows air to move through the heater core as you choose warm air and then more through the A/C evaporator as you choose cooler air. Check this blend door motor to see if it working right. Let me know what you find and we will go from there.

Racefan966
Thanks for your help, and I will let you know if this works!

Stokcarr2
Ok great if you need any help with info or pics let me know and I will try to dig up what I can find and get it to you. Thanks and let me know what you need.

Racefan966
When you were having this problem, was your car also overheating? My 2000 Forester is doing the same thing with the heater blowing cold, then hot, then cold, etc. Except that my temp guage will also start to climb, then come down some, then climb again. How did you eventually resolve your problem?

Jax1953
After I posted my message to the mechanics, regarding the heater blowing cold air, a few days later the temp gauge went all the way up. My husband checked and found there wasn't much water in the radiator. After filling it up, the gauge went back down and the heater/ac started working properly.
I've found that Subaru's are quirky automobiles. There's always something minor going on with my Forester (and the Outback I had prior), but never anything major with the engine. My " check engine" light has been on for months, but no mechanic has ever been able to find a problem.
Also, with Foresters, you have to make sure you change the fuel filter and oxygen sensors periodically, or you will have power problems.

Stokcarr2