LEAKING OIL

2001 Subaru Forester

2001 Subaru Forester 4 cyl All Wheel Drive Automatic 105000 miles

I recently noticed oil drips under my car. When I took it to have the oil changed, I asked the mechanic to look at where it was leaking oil.

While up on the lift he checked it out and said it looked like the head gasket was leaking. He said they would put a special dye in the oil and check it a few days later with a black light.

I took it back a few days later and they confirmed that the head gasket was leaking oil. Upon consulting with someone who does a lot of his own maintenance, they questioned whether the oil on the dip stick was " milky looking" as that would indicate coolant getting into the oil. I said that I had checked the oil before the oil change and it looked normal.

How bad would the head gasket have to leak for that to happen? Is it possible for it to leak oil and not get coolant in the oil.

At approximately $1800 for the repair, I'd like to be sure. Rich in Maryland
Rich57