OIL LEAKS FROM ENGINE?

1999 Subaru Forester

1999 Subaru Forester 4 cyl All Wheel Drive Automatic 93,000 miles

My Subaru had a leak which appeared to be coming from the oil pan/front of the car. The gasket was changed, along with 2 exhaust gaskets, as the exhaust needed to be disconnected from the engine in order to lift the engine out to get to the oil pan.

The next morning there was a fresh oil spot on my driveway as if nothing had been done to the car. I got under the car and saw that the underside of the car was moist with oil in the same spot as it had been before I brought the car in.

Called the mechanic, he said that my car had numerous leaks, that the entire back side of the engine was covered with oil and that I needed to have the main engine seal replaced. I questioned why he would send me home when the " entire back of the engine" was covered with oil. I am also curious why the leak is exactly in the same place as it was before I brought it in. From the front of the car.

Please help me with this problem. I am female and stupid. I don't know if I should go back to him for further repairs, take my car to the dealership for an evaluation or what to do at this point. Thank you in advance
Argh!