CAR STUCK IN LOW GEAR WHILE GOING DOWN

1999 Subaru Forester

1999 Subaru Forester 4 cyl All Wheel Drive Automatic 82000 miles

I recently bought a 99 subaru forster. After the first week or so I noticed that when I shifted between 2nd and 3rd (only when 1st driven, in the mornings or after sitting for a few hours) it would rev high and then drop back down. It casued the car to lunge forward. Then Itook it on a road trip. It did fine going over the passes on the way out of town. Then when I came back through the last pass in quite steep. It appears to have gotten stuck in 3rd (?) Gear. Meaning that the rpm's were at 4000, we were traveling at 70, I couldn't really accelerate, and it felt like the vehicle was being held back. The when I got to thebottom of the hill it shifted up and the rpms dropped and I was able to accelerate. I have since gone over these passed 3 times and it has happened in the same spot, with the same symptoms everytime. What couldbe causing both these problems.
Satiatingstar