TROUBLE CODE 13 (CRANK POSITION SENSOR)

1988 Subaru DL

1988 Subaru DL 4 cyl Four Wheel Drive Manual 120000 miles

My car died when I was driving. The starter still works but the engine does not start. The car computer shows trouble code 13 (Crank position sensor) and the Check Engine Light is ON. I have checked power in the sensor connector when ignition was on. There are four wires in the connector. The measurements were the following: wire "1" - 12 volts, wire "2" - 0.01 volts, wire "3" - 5 volts, wire "4" - 5 volts. So everything seems fine at the sensor connector. I pulled the distributor out because there is no other way to access the sensor. It is an optical sensor with photo diodes. I assume that diode's light should be visible in the dark. I did not see any light coming from the sensor. I could not find other way to test the sensor. I think that there should be a way to check resistance of the sensor. I found the required resistance data for an inductive type sensor and Hall IC type sensor but no luck with an optical type that I have. I also do not have an oscilloscope. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I would prefer to be 100% sure before I spend $200 on the sensor. Thank you.
For those who would like to know more about the Crank position sensor principle of operation here is a link to the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuIislTGOwA&feature=PlayList&p=E672DD31213B4759&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=5
Sasha123

I have fixed my car finally!
I had to replace the crank position sensor that was located in the distributor's body.

Sasha123