STARTING PROBLEM

2001 Ford Ranger • 135,000 miles

Drove my truck to work yesterday, worked just fine as usual. When I was going to lunch it wouldn't start, first I thought dead battery but then I noticed all my dash lights(check engine, ABS, battery, oil light, etc) and radio and A/C were on/running even when I took my key out of the ignition. So I manually turned off A/C and radio but dash lights and clock would not turn off(no key in ignition, has never happened before) so disconnected my battery to keep it from totally draining. After work I tried jumping it, but still no crank and still everything stayed on once battery was connected. Thought maybe bad ignition switch so I ran to the parts store got one and switched it out, and still no difference. While doing that I went ahead and looked at the key lock ignition cylinder(on the steering column) and noticed a little wire had been connected to the lock cylinder but the little plastic piece was broke, asked the guy at the parts store and he said it was to the buzzer for when the key was in the ignition. Not sure if that's related to the problem or not. Anyways it's a 2001 ford Ranger, manual transmission, that's my problem, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Anavrin87

Parts salesman are just that, not technicians.

Get a shop to look at this broken wire as it may be more than just a buzzer