STALLING OUT ONCE IT WARMS UP

1987 Ford Ranger • 151,000 miles

Once the truck warms up it starts stalling out. I have to keep one foot on the break and one on the gas when I come up to a light to keep it from dieing. I have replaced the throttle body sensor, the air intake? Sensor the one that mounts to the side of the upper intake, and the map. Not sure what else. I checked the resistance of the injectors. Read 14 -15. Which is within the chilton specs. Didnt clean or ahve the injectors checked for RPM. About 150 to do that so I kind of figure if I have to do that I might aswell buy new ones. Any thoughts?
Bobmechanic

Try cleaning the throttle plate on both sides with choke cleaner and iac hole.

I hadnt tried cleaning the throttle plate. I did spray out the IAC, replaced it, and srayed the hole as well. I can spray the hole again though. It does seem like its not getting enough air when it warms up.
If I take the plug off one of the test valves (I'm assuming that's what it is.) That sucks in air it runs quite well. This plug is located at the back end of the upper intake manifold and has 3 different vacuum hoses going into it. Then if I start it with the plug off and then cover it with my finger the thing shuts off pretty much instantly.
I'll clean those things though and report back.

Bobmechanic
What you are doing by taking the hose off is leaning out the fuel mix, check fuel pressure with a gauge it may have to much pressure and need a fuel press regulator.

So I took off the throttle body and cleaned it. It really wasnt too dirty. Kind of oily. But I havent driven it much since I checked the fuel injectors and sprayed the crud out of the intake manifold. So I imagine the residue was from that.

I also added some fuel injector cleaner to the fuel. A few days ago. Not sure that did anything.

Just watched the youtube video, like two seconds ago, by 2carpros and am going to buy the tester to check here in a bit to see if it has something to do with the regulator, fuel pump, or filter.

Bobmechanic
Auto parts rent the gauge also check for a partially blocked egr valve

Cleaned the egr. It had a tiny bit of carbon. But tested it and it and it seemed like it was functioning. The tubing at the connection to the egr had a ball bearing in it. So I removed that. Broke the egr selonoid. Replaced it. The car is still dying.

Also, just realized that I'm getting horrible gas mileage. Less than 200 miles on a tank.

I'm going to get the tester today or tomorrow and run through the fuel pressure tests.

Bobmechanic
So I checked the pressure.

The pressure was showing about 30. When running. Which the specs call for 35-45 but it didnt seem to far out of range. The other checks seemed to be where they should be. The pressure did bleed off within a minute after shutting it off. Oh good call on renting the tools. The fuel pressure tester thingy was actually free at Shucks. Or whatever it is now.

Not sure what else to check.

MPG is horrible. I think I got 200 miles out of a tank of gas. Air filter seems fine. I'm hesitant to get the fuel injectors cleaned. Because its so expensive (150) but could that cause this issue of stalling after it warms up and enters closed loop?

Bobmechanic
It should have minimum fuel pressure like it says 35-45 you may have a bad pump and regulator it should hold for 5 mintues

Well. I replaced both the fuel pump and the fuel filter. So it is now at the right pressure and not draining off like it was.

The battery died on my way to work. It was super cold morning and the battery couldnt take it. I replaced that today and am planning on getting the injectors professionally cleaned in the next couple of days. Hopefully that solves my problem.

I have noticed the last few times I drove and today that it is smoking quite a bit out the exhaust. I'm not sure if that is the additives from a tank ago or if it is a symptom of the truck stalling out after it gets warmed up.

Bobmechanic
Drive it and see if your staling goes away first before worrying about the smoke it may disappear.